Healthier Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
Vegan, Dairy-Free, Refined-Sugar Free
I visited my Mum recently and got a ton of fresh Rhubarb from her garden so naturally, I had a craving for one of my all-time favourite childhood deserts: Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp.
But we all know how much sugar goes into a traditional crisp and knew I had to find a healthier alternative....
BAM: The Healthier Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp was born. The perfect Summer treat!
For the Filling
1 lb Rhubarb, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
2 cups Strawberries, quartered
2 tbsp pure Maple Syrup
1 Lemon, juiced (about 2 tbsp)
3 tbsp Tapioca Flour*
3/4 cup Coconut Sugar
For the Topping
1/2 cup Coconut Oil, melted
2 cups Rolled Oats
1/2 cup All Purpose Flour*
1 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 cup Coconut Sugar
1/4 cup pure Maple Syrup
1/2 cup Walnuts
1/4 tsp Sea Salt
Make the Filling
1. Preheat the oven to 350.
2. In a large bowl, combine rhubarb, strawberries, coconut sugar, lemon juice, maple syrup and tapioca flour. Stir until the fruit is evenly coated with the sugar mixture
3. Transfer the fruit mixture to a 10 x 10-inch baking dish and set aside.
Make the Topping
4. In the same bowl, combine flour, coconut sugar, oats, cinnamon and sea salt. Stir until well mixed.
5. Add melted coconut oil and walnuts, and continue to stir. You may need to use your hands to break apart any large clumps!
6. Spoon the topping evenly over the fruit. Bake for 45 minutes, or until the fruit is bubbling around the edges and the topping is golden brown.
7. Allow the crisp to cool for 20-25 minutes before serving (I know this is tough!). Enjoy!!
*Tapioca Flour is used as the thickening agent in this recipe and can be swapped for Arrowroot Starch or Corn Starch
*Make this recipe Gluten Free by substituting Gluten Free flour
Freezing option: This crisp can be frozen for three months covered in parchment paper and sealed Tupperware container. To reheat, place in the oven for 20-minutes at 300 degrees.
As always, drop a comment below and let me know how your crumble turned out! Enjoy!