The liver is the largest internal organ in the body with over 500+ functions, one of which is metabolizing, neutralizing and excreting toxins from things like pollution and the crowd favourite, alcohol!
I know I’m not alone in feeling like it’s next to impossible NOT to want a glass of Rose or an iced cold beer on a hot summer day. And there's nothing wrong with that! Health is all about Balance, and I’ve got a list of ways to support your liver in coping with #roséallday 🙌🏻
Soooo, let’s talk about ways we can support our liver in metabolizing all those not-so-good-for-us toxins to help us get the most of out of these next few months!
Here are my top recommendations for liver support this summer:
1. Lemon Water: Starting your morning with lemon water (on an empty stomach, within 30 minutes of rising) is a great way to lightly detoxify your liver. It helps you decongest and flush out all of those unwanted toxins!
2. Cruciferous Vegetables: Brussel sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, mustard greens… vegetables from this family are packed with plant compounds that have been proven to improve liver function and reduce the damage caused by oxidative stress/toxins (like booze).
3. Beets or Beet Juice: Full of plant-flavanoids (antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties) to support overall liver function.
4. Chlorophyll: Derived from Algae, you can add this green powder to your lemon water or smoothies to give your liver additional cleansing support.
5. Cranberries & Blueberries: You guys know I’m all about that antioxidant-rich life, and berries are one of the best sources out there!
6. Garlic: Helps your liver activate the enzymes needed to flush toxins!
7. Leafy Greens: Spinach, Kale, Swiss Chard… leafy greens are loaded with anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties to nourish your liver and improve it’s overall function.
8. Grapefruits Full of vitamin C, grapefruits reduce inflammation and fat-accumulation in the liver. Studies have shown that grapefruits actually improve the livers ability to metabolize alcohol! WIN!
9. Avocados: Avocados help your body produce Glutathione, one of our body’s most powerful anti-oxidants that is needed for aiding our livers in filtering toxins. I love avocados on everything, so this seems like a no-brainer!
10. Grapes: Grapes contain a compound called Resveratol, a Polyphenol that acts like an anti-oxidant, protecting your liver against damage.