Who doesn't love a juicy, sweet melon on a hot summer day!? Well, go ahead and enjoy because you're doing your body so many favours.
Watermelons, Cantaloupes and Honeydews are packed with nutrients, making them a great alternative to a sugary popsicle or ice-cream cone on a hot summer day...
1. Digestive Support: Like all fruits, melon's are full of enzymes that promote healthy digestion. They are also full of water and dietary fibre, both of which promote healthy bowel movements. They are also a great way to stay hydrated in the heat of summer!
2. Skin Health: The antioxidant content in Cantaloupe and Watermelon make them super beneficial for skin - great for anti-aging. Melon's contain vitamin C, which is an important component in Collagen formation (Collagen is key for skin elasticity, keeping us looking youthful). They also contain Vitamin A, a key component in the regeneration process of our skin cells - Literally, giving you a youthful glow all summer long.
3. Weight-loss: If you're looking to lose weight, melon's are a great snack option because they are low in calories, but high in fibre. Fibre is really important for all weight-loss journeys because it actually slows the rate at which food leaves your stomach and travels into your digestive tract, meaning you stay fuller for longer. Melon's also have a high water content, meaning they create even more of a 'full' feeling, without racking up the calories! Not to mention, the natural sugars in Melon's make them a great way to satiate cravings for sweets without going for refined, processed sugars...
4. Energy Booster: Melon's are full of B Vitamins, which are needed by your body to process sugar and carbs. Cantaloupe also contains a lot of Potassium, an electrolyte (Great for hydration!) that works with other minerals (Sodium, Calcium and Magnesium) to provide your body with energy.
5. Immune Booster: Antioxidants!!! Like all fruits, melon's are full of anti-oxidants (Vitamins A, C and E) that are great for your immune system. They help your body in fighting damage caused by free-radicals (stressors) and actually prevent oxidative stress, which, over-time can be very damaging to your cells.
Looking for a good summer salad recipe? Try my Summer Watermelon Salad!