Sweet & Savoury Moroccan Chickpea Stew
Are you looking for the perfect stew to cozy up with tonight? This is it!
My Savoury Moroccan Stew is completely packed with flavour and is honestly just so comforting. It makes quite a few servings too, which is great for meal prep or feeding the entire family (probably twice!).
This recipe is completely plant based but can also be made using chicken breasts or thighs. Either cook and shred the chicken and then add it to your bowl, or cook them right into the recipe in place of the chickpeas.
1 tbsp avocado or olive oil
2 yellow onions, chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
3 large carrots, peeled and chopped
3 parsnips, peeled and chopped
2 medium sweet potato, peeled and chopped
2 cups cooked chickpeas
1/4 cup black olives (pits removed), chopped
1/4 cup green olives (pits removed), chopped
1/2 cup prunes, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup dried apricots, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup currants
2 heaping tbsp tomato paste
1 can diced tomatoes, with juices (28oz)
2 bay leaves
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
4 cups vegetable broth
1 tsp each - turmeric, cumin, cinnamon, ginger,
smoked paprika, sumac
Optional Garnish: Fresh Parsley
1. In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook until soft (not brown).
2. Add garlic and cook for another few minutes.
3. Add chopped veggies, spices, broth, tomato paste, diced tomatoes, olives, bay leaves and dried fruit. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
4. Bring to a boil, then reduce to low and simmer for 45 minutes - 1 hour, or until all vegetables are soft.
5. Add cooked chickpeas and season with additional salt and pepper (to taste). Continue to simmer for another 5-10 minutes.
6. Remove bay leaves and serve on a bed of grains, or on it's own. Garnish with fresh parsley.
I hope you enjoy! - Emily