This salad is perfect for a summer BBQ or dinner party. It’s simple, refreshing, healthy and delicious.
1 grapefruit, rind removed and thinly sliced
1 large orange or 2 mandarin oranges, peeled and thinly sliced
2 medium beets, boiled and thinly sliced
2 tbsp pomegranate seeds
1 cup quinoa (or grain of your choice)
1/3 cup walnuts, toasted
1 cup micro-greens (I used radish sprouts and pea sprouts)
Juice and zest of 1 lime
1 tsp honey
1 tsp minced ginger or ginger powder
2 tbsp oil (grapeseed, olive or avocado)
Salt & Pepper to taste
Optional add-ons: Fresh chopped chili’s, radish slices, red onion, feta or goat’s cheese, fresh herbs
Serves: 4 as a starter salad, or 2 as a main
1. In a small pot, cover your beets with water and bring to a boil. Cook them for about 12 minutes, until they’re tender. Remove the beets from the boiling water and let them cool (hint: place them in ice water to speed up the cooling process). Once they’ve cooled, peel the skin and cut the beets into thin slices (about ¼ inch).
**TIP: health food stores often have beets that are pre-boiled and vacuum sealed – great option if you’re short on time!)
2. While your beets are boiling, preheat your oven to 350 F. Place your walnuts on a baking sheet and bake them for about 5 minutes – be careful not to let them burn!
3. Next, cook your quinoa. Cover the quinoa in water (I use 2 cups of water per 1 cup of quinoa) and bring to a boil. Once the water is boiling, turn the heat down and let it simmer for about 10 minutes, until all the water is absorbed.
4. Time to make dressing! Whisk together honey, lime juice, lime zest, ginger, oil, S&P.
5. Spread your quinoa onto your plate in a thin layer. Add micro greens, citrus, pomegranate and beets. Crumble the walnuts on top with any other add-ons, like radishes, chili’s or feta cheese. Drizzle with dressing, season with S&P and serve!