Superfood Granola? Yes, please!
This granola is one of my all time favourites and I've taken the time to perfect the recipe. It's a great snack if you are on the go, but I also love it on top of coconut yogurt or smoothie bowls for breakfast. It has just the right amount of sweetness to satiate cravings, while being packed full of healthy fiber, fats, proteins and superfoods, like Goji Berries and Pumpkin Seeds. Bonus: It's also gluten free!
Goji Berries are the star of the show in this recipe. They are full of Antioxidants to support the immune system and fight against inflammation, and have also been shown to help with sleep, anxiety and liver support. Best of all, they are known for giving your skin that *glow*.
This granola also contains Pumpkin Seeds, which are a great source of Zinc and Magnesium - two very important minerals for our health- as well as plant-based Protein, while the Walnuts and Pecans provide lots of Omega 3 Fats (say hello to happy hormones!).
Ground Flax is another star, providing both Insoluble and Soluble fiber. Fiber promotes healthy bowel movements and slows the emptying of food from the stomach, thus keeping us fuller for longer. It also binds to toxins and excess hormones like estrogen, helping us remove them from the body. Most of us don't get enough fiber in the diet as it is, so I love sneaking it into yummy recipes like this!
Finally, Cinnamon helps to stabilize blood sugar while also giving this Granola it's amazing taste!
SUPERFOOD GRANOLA RECIPE
*This recipe yields about 3 large mason jars full of granola
6 cups Old Fashioned Oats (Gluten Free)
1 cup Ground Flax Seed
1 tbsp Cinnamon
1 pinch of Sea Salt
1 1/2 cup Coconut Oil (melted)
1 tbsp Vanilla Extract
1/2 cup Pure Maple Syrup (or adjust based on how sweet you like it)
1 cup Raw Pumpkin Seeds (unsalted)
1 cup Pecans (crushed or chopped)
1 cup Walnuts (crushed or chopped)
1/2 cup dried Goji Berries
1/2 cup Toasted Coconut Chips or Shredded, Unsweetened Coconut Flakes (I buy my toasted coconut chips from the Bulk Barn, but you can also toast the coconut yourself!)
2 tbsp Coconut Sugar (Optional, for added sweetness)
For an added superfood boost, try adding 2 tbsp of Raw Maca powder in with the Oats, Flax, Cinnamon and Sea Salt. Maca is a potent adaptogen that is great for hormonal balance, libido and energy support, and it gives the granola a great caramelized flavour!
1. Pre-heat the oven to 300 and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, mix Oats, Cinnamon, Sea Salt and Flax.
3. In a separate bowl, mix the melted Coconut Oil, Maple Syrup & Vanilla Extract.
4. Slowly pour the melted coconut oil mixture over top of the oats. Use a large spoon or spatula and mix well - the oats need to be fully coated so that they don't burn in the oven!
5. Distribute the Oats onto the baking sheets and place them in the oven for 30 minutes, or until they are golden brown. It is best to take them out and stir them every 10 minutes to ensure they aren't burning!
6. Once the Oats are golden brown, add the Walnuts, Pecans and Pumpkin Seeds, and place the trays back in the oven. Bake for another 10-20 minutes. Note: Be very careful that your nuts don't burn during this step - keep a close eye on them! Or if your granola is already well-toasted, cook the nuts separately and mix them in afterwards.
7. Remove the Granola from the oven and transfer it back into the large mixing bowl. Add the Coconut Chips, Goji Berries and Coconut Sugar, if using. Mix well!
9. Set the granola aside to cool for 15-20 minutes, then transfer it to large glass jars or Tupperware containers.