Roasted Sweet Potato Blueberry Loaf
For a long time I’ve been trying to come up with a breakfast loaf/muffin recipe that satisfies (sweet, moist, delicious) and is also really healthy. Well, I’ve finally mastered it! This recipe is so good, so healthy, and actually tastes amazing! The quinoa flour and hemp hearts make it high in protein, and the rolled oats make it a super filling breakfast or snack. I also sweetened it with natural sugars to make it guilt-free and used non-dairy milk for all of us lactose-intolerant folks. Top it with peanut butter or blueberry jam and oh my… Enjoy!
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup quinoa flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
2 tbsp hemp hearts
1 tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp sea salt (I use himalayan pink sea salt)
1 cup roasted, mashed sweet potatoes
½ cup coconut palm sugar
3 tbsp maple syrup
2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
¾ cup blueberries
¼ cup almond or other non-dairy milk
½ cup toasted pecans/walnuts (optional)
*makes 4 mini loafs or 12 muffins
1. Preheat the oven to 375 F. Peel and cut your sweet potatoes into 1 inch cubes and coat them with a high-heat cooking oil (grapeseed, coconut, rice bran oil). Roast them for about 20 minutes, until they’re tender and slightly browned. Once they’re roasted, mash them with a fork.
2. While the sweet potatoes are roasting, lightly grease your loaf or muffin tins with melted coconut oil.
3. Place your dry ingredients (oats, flour, baking powder, baking soda, sea salt, cinnamon and hemp) into a large bowl. Stir well to combine.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together your sweet potato, egg, coconut sugar, milk and coconut oil.
5. Add all of your wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir them until they are mixed – your batter will seem pretty dense but don’t worry, it’s supposed to be dense and thick!
6. Place half of your mix into the loaf tins and add the blueberries (and toasted nuts if you’re using them), and than add the rest of the mix on top. I like to add the blueberries this way so that I can make sure each loaf has equal amounts of blueberries! Bake for about 20 minutes until the loafs are firm to touch and golden brown.